The 1750 Isle of Wight Courthouse
The Old Courthouse of 1750 is located at 130 Main Street in downtown Smithfield. Originally modeled after the Capitol Building in Williamsburg, this served as the courthouse for Isle of Wight County for the last half of the 18th century. Adjacent to the Courthouse are the original 18th century Clerk's Office, Jail, Gaming House and the Smithfield Inn, buildings which have served as the core of the Town throughout its history.
The Courthouse will be decorated for the season and open for free tours throughout the Antiques Show and Historic Homes Tours weekend.
The proceeds of the Antiques Show and Homes Tours will be used to restore, maintain and interpret this important building, which witnessed the birth of our nation. $200,000 in repairs to the building were completed this year. The next phase of the repair/restoration/interpretation project will include new interpretive displays and the construction of an outbuilding appropriate to the period of the Courthouse's 1750-52 construction.
For more information on the Courthouse, visit their Facebook page: 1750 Isle of Wight Courthouse.